What is a coaching circle?
A coaching circle is a small closed group of 6-8 circle members who meet regularly over several months. During each session, circle members have the opportunity to coach each other on current work challenges or issues.
The main method used is based on Action Learning. Founded in the 1950s, action learning is a proven method in the world of professional development. It’s all about transformation for both the individual and the organisation, and has earned a well-respected place on many management, leadership and professional-development programmes.
What’s the benefit of being part of a coaching circle?
Being an coach can often be quite a lonely place. People in such roles often spend the majority of their time supporting others whilst themselves feeling unsupported. A coaching circle is a safe place to explore their fears and concerns. Being asked probing questions from circle members allows the issue holder to work through problems that often they’re not able to work through on their own.
Other benefits of coaching circles:
- Receive support in finding new creative solutions to challenges or issues in your day-to-day work as a coach or practitioner
- Work through issues relating to you and your work teams, allowing you to go back and approach them with confidence
- Develop yourself and your career
- Learn from the experiences of others
- Practice the art of asking powerful coaching questions to unlock the potential of your peers, team members, and clients
- Enhance team working and collaboration skills
- Develop problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Enhance your ability to reflect on and learn from individual and collective experiences
- Develop awareness of how individual behaviours, attitudes and assumptions impact on decision making
In addition you will:
- Receive guidance (or reminders) on the art of asking open, exploratory questions
- Practice reflective learning through group retrospectives
- Receive support and accountability for your committed actions and your progress month-by-month
- Develop networks and relationships with fellow coaches and aspiring coaches that are deeper than most work relationships
Who facilitates the coaching circle?
The circles are facilitated by Ryan Behrman, an experienced agility coach, facilitator and trainer who is also a trained action learning facilitator.
The circles are particularly relevant to coaches, facilitators and change agents supporting teams and organisations in catalysing systemic agility. It is particularly relevant to Agile Coaches, Enterprise Agile Coaches, Scrum Masters, Change Agents and Change Leaders or people in similar roles.
It is a pre-requisite that you have at least basic training or experience in the professional coaching skills of listening, reflecting and asking questions.
Sessions run every month for a period of 6 months. Each session lasts 3 hours.
If you are interested in joining a coaching circle please contact us.